Some 400 feet (120 metres) above sea level and built of local stone, it sits at the edge of the Wylye valley. Warminster and the surrounding area are well known for UFO sightings.
Battlebury and Scratchbury Camps lay to the east on the edge of Salisbury Plain. Clay Hill is to the west. The long main street runs for most of its length, the wide market place being its only interruption.
An agricultural centre and market town, Daniel Defoe said of it as 'without exception the greatest market of wheat in England'. It played its part in the cloth industry and became well known for glove making, but retaining its agricultural connections and adding light industry. The Army School of Infantry is on the outskirts as are the workshops of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. King Alfred assembled his army at Warminster for the final onslaught against the Danes in 878.
The grammar school, founded in 1707 by Thomas Thynne, Viscount Weymouth of Longleat has a dormer roof and mullioned windows. The doorway to the schoolhouse was originally designed by Sir Christopher Wren for Longleat. Dr Thomas Arnold was its most famous pupil, who became headmaster of Rugby.
The Bath Arms hotel and the Old Bell, two coaching inns are noteworthy. The town hall was built in the reign of William IV and nearby, the chapel of St Lawrence is a restored 13th century foundation. The monument, topped by an urn was erected in 1781. Around Pitsmead, 2 miles (3 km) away Roman remains have been found where two villas were discovered in 1786.
No UFOs today!
A view looking northwest from the A362, across the farmland which makes up the bulk of this square, towards Cley Hill. During the 1960s, this hill was one of the centres of the Warminster wave of UFO sightings, and is reputedly an intersection of ley lines from Glastonbury, Stonehenge and Avebury.
. Cley Hill is an Iron Age hillfort located on a prominent site West of Warminster. It occupies an unusual location, built upon an outlier, or isolated segment of chalk, rising from 240 m (775 ft) above the surrounding clayland. Part of the hill has been quarried, but it still provides a stunning view of the surrounding countryside.
The Atheneum Centre
This community centre can be found in the High Street.
Warminster High Street
This is the western end of the High Street, leading to George Street.