Locations of visitors to this page

Maud Heath, who traded at Chippenham market provided funds in 1474 to build and maintain a causeway from Wick Hill, near Bremhill to Chippenham. A distance of 4½ miles (7km), it passes through the Avon valley which frequently flooded her home parish of Langley Burrell and those of Kellaways and Tytherton.

For the majority of its distance it is at road level, but at Kellaways it rises about 6 feet (1.8 metres) above the road, supported by 60 arches. Where the raised causeway crosses the River Avon, an inscribed sundial with ball finial marks the way to Chippenham Clift and Wick Hill.

 At the top of Wick Hill stands Maud Heath's monument. Her statue with basket and staff sits atop the pillar looking over the Avon Valley and her causeway. The inscription on the stone was translated in 1827 from the original Latin by William Lisle Bowles, the parson poet of Bremhill. He, with the Marquis of Landsdowne, payed for the erection of the monument in 1838.

Another inscribed stone marks the end of the causeway at Chippenham Clift.

Maud Heath's monument at the top of Wick Hill. Erected 1838

The sundial. Where the causeway crosses the Avon  




The sundial. Where the causeway crosses the Avon

Leading to the raised part of Maud Heath's causeway at Kellaways

51°28'48.7"N 2°04'45.1"W

Maud Heath's Causeway, Coordinates