Marlborough White Horse
Near where the A4 meets the A345, south-west of the town on Granham Hill is this small white horse measuring 61 feet (19 metres) long by 47 feet (14 metres) high. It was cut in 1804 but fell into neglect, then recut and altered in 1873 but retained its oddly shaped head and short tail. The horse is mentioned in the Marlborough College end-of-term song, but the work was in fact done by the boys of another school in the town.
William Canning of the Manor House, Ogbourne St George, a pupil at Mr Greasley's school originally designed and pegged out the white horse, who then prevailed upon his contemporaries to cut the shape and fill it with chalk.